Semantic Network

So, last week myspeach interns andI had some diffiulty around  tthe sematic web we use to help me find words for myself.  I need to use it so I can find the words Iwant to use since my kind of Afasia is word finding.

Generally, any time I'm getting frustrated not just this context but when I get lost in the words,litterally, I will take  step back and try and find theBIG ideas and concepts I'mworking on.Ideas.Then Ifound This! In stead of getting frustrated  

found this!  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4600091/

What is Semantic Network? In a nutshell


thttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4600091/

What is Semantic Network? Ignore the graphs for now since I don't know how it works. A knowledge base that represents semantic relations between concepts in a network.

The model of knowledge representation is based on a directed or undirected graph consisting of vertices, which represent concepts, and Disregard the graphs, which represent semantic relations between concepts,mapping or connecting semantic/ word (same thing). Ignore the graphs since I don't unerstand.


So How does this realate to my speach sessions?

What Iget out of it, all things considered, it's t's about creating a new pathways for finding features that can be used to help me wth finding my words. when I would probabaly be able to do this in  my mind insteadof talking it out. 

When I get good. 

Here is an example: 

I was walking with afriend and I was trying to find the vedgatablethatis my favorite   somthing in a recipie and I talked it out: I'ts white, bumpy, you can eat it, and put it in the oven when you're making a vegetable bake! This is why I don't want to have folks fill in a word - I need to do it my self.Hopefully I will be able to do it without saying it out loud. AND sayWhat was  this post had no  word 

finding Yippy YAY! Also,what was the vedgable I was looking for?

Comments

  1. Hi, Malke! Your description reminds me of learning any subject. As we find new words or rediscover ones we've heard before, we have to make links to other ideas in our minds so we can remember them. Otherwise, they slip back out of our minds.

    A whole lot has slipped out of my mind over the years...

    From the clues you wrote, I think your vegetable was cauliflower. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cauliflower (spelling is hard for me! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, cauliflower. I was thinking of potatoes which can be bumpy and are white inside, and most importantly are my favorite thing to bake!

    If you're curious, "graph" is a word some mathematicians and scientists use for a set of dots with lines connecting them. The lines can have arrows on them to show direction. Graphs are used a lot to represent connections (lines) between things (points). For example, a subway map could be a graph. Each station has a dot and the lines show which subways connect which stations. But more abstractly, friends could be represented by a graph. Each person would be a dot, and there could be a line if they know each other. If you represented Twitter with a graph, you could put an arrow from one person to another if that person follows them. You and I follow each other so we could put arrows going both ways. I follow Dan Meyer but he does not follow me, so there would be an arrow from me to Dan but not one from Dan to me.

    So you could show connections between words in a graph I guess? Like white might connect to cauliflower and also to snow and paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Malke! I love your description of cauliflower… I could smell it baking in the oven and practically taste it as I walked in my kitchen!

    Quite a few years ago an old friend was walking in San Francisco under some scaffolding and it collapsed on her head and led to significant brain damage. She had been a trained architecture and as a Zen priest and her older psychologist sister from Australia, who had studied some about neuroplasticity, came to spend months with her and work with her to reteach her to walk and talk and teach yoga and return to her work as a Buddhist priest. I’ve always been inspired by her perseverance. Hers is different from your situation but speaks to the potency of neuroplasticity.

    I loved your repeating origami designs – they remind me of quilts and tiles and the way they can interlock by running or circling or triangulating or forming illusory hexagons. Perhaps I can teach chem (newly this year) remembering to have students see how elements can go together in various ways and with a variety of crystal structures.

    We have a lot of catching up to do! I miss dancing with you 💜 love, Ruth (in Chapel Hill)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wiped out but happy

New Ideas for for my brain!